Zeta debris all but gone, virus rages onward

The city’s federally funded debris operations wrapped up this week, with any remnants to be picked up by either the city’s Public Works Department or trash contractor Pelican Waste.

Wednesday was the Zeta debris contractor Crowder-Gulf’s last day hauling right-of-way debris in Biloxi. The effort, which began Nov. 5, saw 297,000 cubic yards of debris hauled in 6200 loads from neighborhoods and rights-of-way.

The latest on debris efforts, along with a pandemic update (now averaging 140 new cases a day in Harrison County) are included in today’s Biloxi A to Z report.

On the debris front, FEMA is expected to reimburse the city 75 percent of the project’s $4 million price tag, and the state chips in half of the remaining 25 percent. The city will ultimately be responsible for about 12¬Ĺ percent of the cost.

“The bulk of the hauling, as expected, was done in the 41 days of work in November and December,” said Jonathan Kiser, who was responsible for monitoring the project, which began days after Oct. 29, when Zeta, a Category 2 storm, struck. “In those first two months they averaged 5,800 cubic yards of debris a day.

“In the 16 days they worked in January, as debris became less plentiful and less concentrated, crews averaged just over 2,100 CY a day.”

Today, in its video report, the city asks residents to bag any remaining leaves, or, if possible, put them in their brown garbage cart.
Facebook: See today’s report
YouTube: See today report
See the overall tracking chart
See the daily comparison chart
See the Harrison County 14-day chart
Mask Up, Biloxi (face covering required): Print your own sign (8.5 x 11)
See the White House and City Hall COVID-19 plans
The finale: See the Zeta debris tracking page